Error: An error occurred while enabling Enterprise features.

Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:14 PM by CoreyRoth

For those of you that have been following me on twitter, you know I have terrible luck picking the right product key to use when installing SharePoint 2010.  My last install was no different.  I thought I had the Enterprise key but in fact I had the Standard key.  No worries, they fixed the bug that was in Beta 2 so I can just upgrade my Standard install to an Enterprise install.  I pasted my key in and hit the button, waited several minutes and I received the following error.

An error occurred while enabling Enterprise features.

It then proceeded to tell me to check my Event Log for more details.  I checked the log and of course there was absolutely nothing relevant in them whatsoever.  I didn’t check the 14 hive’s log folder as it clearly said check the event log. :-)  I tried the procedure again, only to find it to fail again.  Of course this is what you do with any SharePoint failure.  If the first attempt doesn’t work, just try again. :-) 

Finally, I rebooted the server and tried the process again.  Miraculously, it worked that time and I was able to enable Enterprise Features on my existing sites.  I have no idea why it didn’t work, but if you run into this issue, maybe this will help.


# re: Error: An error occurred while enabling Enterprise features.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:32 AM by Kedrick Weeks

I'm getting the same error but even after rebooting my "development machine" I'm still getting the same error and cannot upgrade to enterprise.

Leave a Comment