I’ve been working on putting some stuff together for my talks at SharePoint Saturday Ozarks (#SPSOzarks) and ran into this interesting issue. Now this may just be an isolated incident, but I have discovered a few errors that occur when trying to query a managed property of type decimal. To start out, I created a custom content type with a site column called DocumentPriority (name doesn’t really matter obviously). I configured the site column as a number with 0 decimal places. Search picks this up as a crawled property but it determines it is of type decimal instead of number. I go ahead and map this to a managed property of the same type and then attempt to query it in the usual manner:
I expected to see some results or at least the message saying no results were available but in fact I get the following error message.
Your search cannot be completed because of a service error. Try your search again or contact your administrator for more information.
That of course confuses me, so I try the query again and I get:
The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.
This confuses me even more. I start to wonder what is going on. I try some different searches and discover other queries work fine, but when I try this query again, I get the same error messages. I decide to do some more research and check the Event Log. I find the following events
The last query machine has been taken out of rotation. Check previous event logs to determine cause. Propagation may be necessary. Component: 68105977-f711-43b5-a25e-4f2d210625e1
Query machine 'MOSS-SERVER' has been taken out of rotation due to this error: Values of this type are not turned into strings necessary to generate scope information. The item will not be locatable in all of the appropriate scopes but this is not a serious error. 0x80044100. It will be retried in 15 seconds. Component: 68105977-f711-43b5-a25e-4f2d210625e1
This means that the query server is dying anytime it receives a query like this. That is extremely bad. I haven’t resolved the issue yet, but I think updating will help. This particular server does not have SP2 on it which I think will resolve it. Well technically I think it was the August Cumulative update from last year that fixes it, but I thought it was worth noting. I thought it was worth noting none the less in case you haven’t updated yet. I am going to update this server and see what happens. I’ll post an update if anything changes.