Wildcard Search Web Part Release 2 is Here!

In keeping with my commitment to continue to give back to the SharePoint community, I am pleased to announce Release 2 of the Wildcard Search Web Part for MOSS Enterprise Search.  This new version of the Wildcard Search control adds support for passing a scope to the query using the standard 'S' URL parameter.  This allows you to use the scopes dropdownlist so that you can query other content sources (i.e.: the BDC).

This release also adds a new property FixedFullTextSqlQuery which can be used to specify a static Full Text SQL Query.  You can type in any query using the Search Full Text SQL Query syntax, and it will execute provided no keyword parameter has been passed using the query string.  You can set this property through the UI, programmatically, or by using CAML.  It also can be a great way to test out a full text query.  Keep in mind though, you should use this parameter with caution as you can easily write a query that does not perform well (such as returning the whole index).

So not a huge release, but the issue with scope definitely needed to be addressed.  Many thanks for everyone who has downloaded Release 1 and left comments and feedback.  Please continue to leave comments and report any issues you may have here or on CodePlex.

Wildcard Search Web Part Release 2

Here is more information on how Release 1 works.

Comments

fromonesource said:

Does this work with people search? :)

September 16, 2008 1:08 PM

SharePoint Daily said:

Top News Stories Cisco Takes Aim At Microsoft's Stronghold (bMighty) Small and midsize businesses

September 17, 2008 8:39 AM

nilang19 said:

you are doing really gr8 job. keep it up.

will this web-part work with Faceted Search 2.5?

Thanks,

Nilang

September 17, 2008 10:28 AM

Unfortunately I have not identified a good way to handle people search (www.dotnetmafia.com/.../wildcard-search-with-moss-people-search.aspx).

Thanks for the comments.  It doesn't work with Faceted Search out of the box unfortunately.  From my understanding it reads the user's query from the querystring.  It could be possible to write an interface to connect the web parts, but would require development in both projects.  This is definitely something I would like to see done though.

September 17, 2008 4:22 PM

stakhyra said:

Corey

Thank you for great web part, I have a question: when this web part is added to results.aspx page "Did you mean...” stop working. Is it because keywords are set to null?

September 17, 2008 5:50 PM

Yes, I believe that is the reason why.  I think the Search Summary web part only works with keyword queries.

September 18, 2008 11:04 AM

Links (9/18/2008) « Steve Pietrek - Everything SharePoint said:

Pingback from  Links (9/18/2008) « Steve Pietrek - Everything SharePoint

September 18, 2008 7:56 PM

Owens said:

Hi,

I have installed MOSS Wildcard Search Web part onto my sharepoint server.

I have added, deployed the solution through Central Adminstration... and also activated the same thru Site Collection Features option in the site settings.

The wildcard search is working fine.

BUT I AM FACING A PROBLEM after installing the Wildcard Search Core Results web part, BEST BETS are not working.

Please do help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Owens Jesse

September 25, 2008 7:51 AM

That is correct.  Best bets do not work with wildcard search (since they are keyword based).  More info here.  www.dotnetmafia.com/.../what-you-give-up-with-full-text-sql-queries-using-wildcard-search.aspx

September 29, 2008 8:52 PM

Yerima said:

Hi there, I have installed, deployed and activated the wildcard search in my MOSS and no different results are generated on wildcard searches, it seems like it doesn't work since my faceted search still works fine, could anyone advise on this. This is how I installed it:

1) Stsadm -o addsolution ...... as in the readme (I had to run it from folder PACKAGE)

2) Deployed from MOSS admin - Solution Management

3) Activated from Site Collection Features

4) Added Webpart to Search Center

....... run queries with asterix without having any hit generated due to the asterix.

Thanks

October 17, 2008 4:58 AM

Make sure you modified the results.aspx page (as opposed to the default aspx page) in your search center.  Also be sure that you have removed the existing CoreResultsWebPart from your results page.

October 22, 2008 9:31 AM

JoshNoble said:

If you want to properly do a wildcard search in something more advanced such as people search, faceated or federated search you may need to move to something more robust like Ontolica Wildcard.  This is not free, but it does get around those issues as well as the RSS and Best Bets problem.  Corey has developed a good wildcard search if you only need basic google-like search functions.

November 24, 2008 6:11 PM

Chris said:

like it

January 6, 2010 8:32 AM

Jose M. Tamez said:

Great job man! It's been invaluable for me for use with scoped lists. I drop it just above the scoped list and it works great. Thanks!

June 9, 2010 9:41 AM

Excellent, glad it works for you.

June 9, 2010 9:57 AM

Alberto said:

Hello Corey.

A problem with web part. It doesn't work setting properties in weba part task pane. For example I i set the scope or change xml nothinh happens. Is it by design?

Thanks

Alberto

November 12, 2010 3:40 AM

Doreen said:

Hi, for the advance search, how's the property mean? the document property? My company hope to have a "tagging" solution. I wanted to make use of the property "Description" but i can't get it to work. please reply.

November 14, 2011 1:45 AM

@Doreen I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.  Can you provide more information?

December 7, 2011 8:35 PM

jwer said:

I had previously encountered an issue sorting the search results returned by your web part (by clicking on the column headers); there was some XSL that needed to be put in the Parameters Editor. However, I didn't save that XSL, and when I had to recreate the part, I now can't find it... I thought I'd found it on one of these forums, but no dice.

Any idea what I'm talking about? Thanks.

July 24, 2012 1:22 PM

@jwer I am familiar with what you are talking about but don't have the XSL handy.  The one issue with XSL sorting is that it doesn't work when you go between pages in the resultset.

August 6, 2012 2:19 PM

jwer said:

Found it, thanks. This is what it looks like:

<ParameterBinding Name="dvt_sortfield" Location="Postback;Connection" />

<ParameterBinding Name="dvt_sortdir" Location="Postback;Connection" />

I'm disappointed in the result-page-only sort, too, but we decided it was not a big enough deal to worry about.

August 28, 2012 1:38 PM